22nd November, 2018
St Margaret’s Academy Policy Consultation – Admissions in 2020
We are consulting on changes we wish to make to our Admissions Policy, with effect from September 2020. The statutory School Admission Code provides guidance on the process when varying the published admissions arrangements for any school. The consultation period for our proposed changes runs from December 1st, 2018 to January 31st 2019.
The draft Admissions Policy is available on our school website or from the school office.
What changes are we proposing?
The change the school wishes to make is with regard to over over-subscription criteria and admitting children of staff:
If we have more applications than there are places, we will offer places according to the following criteria:-
- Children Looked After or children who were previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, child arrangements or special guardianship order.
- Children without an Education, Healthy & Care Plan (EHCP) or a Statement of Special Educational Needs who the Local Authority have identified as needing access to the Enhanced Resource.
- Children who will have a sibling attending the school at the time of application.
- Children of staff who have been employed at St Margaret’s Academy for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to St Margaret’s Academy School is made
the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage.
(The definition of ‘Staff’ includes all those on the payroll of the school. ‘Children of staff’ refers to situations where the staff member is the natural parent, the legal guardian or a resident step parent)
- Other children (prioritised by distance from home to school)
Why are we proposing these changes?
St Margaret’s Academy wishes to acknowledge the importance of having the best staff possible to work with children. We value the skills and experience of our staff and wish to retain this for the future. We also hope that should there be a future skills shortage, this change to our admissions policy would allow us to fill the post with the best possible candidate.
How can you respond?
We would like to hear your views on these proposals. Please send any comments regarding the above proposed change, by January 31st, 2019, in any one of the following ways:
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By hand to: the School Office
- By post to: Mrs K Colmer, School Business Manager, St Margaret’s Academy, Barewell Road, Torquay, TQ1 4PA
After the consultation closes on January 31st, 2019, the responses will be collated and the Governing Body will decide whether or not to proceed with the proposed changes. The outcome will be published on our website.
Once set, the admissions arrangements can apply for seven years unless there are any changes proposed in which case a further consultation is required.
Mrs Sue Stell